In addition of the 6 listed in the pyramid, I always focus on finding those special skills that may or may not come up at an interview or may not be listed in the resume. Read them below and you may agree with my list or start thinking about developing your own list:
1. Ability to make decisions and solve problems: If you are coming to me with a problem, I will expect you to bring what you think would be a possible solution(s) as well.
2. Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work: These days government, corporations and non-profit's are struggling to get the job done with less staff, less funding and less general resources. There is no way that everything will get done without considering these steps.
A. If you are the manager, please be realistic; set your priorities ahead; and provide clear directions, deadlines and expectations to your employees.
B. If you are the employee with several critical projects to complete, you must communicate and work with your manager, in order to be clear about what he/she expects, then prioritize and deliver on time.
3. Charismatic with the ability to influence others: An employee could be extremely smart and knowledgeable in the technical aspects of the job. However, that will not necessarily translate to success. I believe that employees also need to be leaders that would promote the organizational mission with passion in order to make others want to be part of it. Most leaders are born with certain degree of leadership, but I also believe that it is a skill that can be learned.
4. Ability to work in a team structure: Unless you are coming to a job that requires zero interactions with internal or external customers, I would expect you to be a team member; and that you would be “unselfish” enough to share new ideas or ways of doing things with your colleagues, without expecting taking the credit for it. After all, we are in this together.
5. Creativity: I look for signs of the person being creative and able to improvise as necessary to get the job done. This is self-explanatory.
ABOUT THE Author
I am a blogger, a photographer, a jewelry designer, a gourmet cook, and a recipe book writer. I am also a flea market flipper, an avid gardener, an interior/ outdoors designer, an avid golfer and traveler.