Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry with Greens and Carrot Salad
Serve: 4 People +
Time: 30 minutes or less
Cost: Under $15.00 (or $3.75/pp for pasta and salad, depending on where you purchase your groceries)
Ingredients and Approximate Cost of your Grocery Shopping List:
1 bag of Frozen Broccoli Florets (This is the quick option, I prefer to use fresh) ($1.50)
2 boneless chicken breasts (cut into strips) ($3.50)
5 cloves of Garlic (minced)
¼ c. peanut oil or canola oil (use less if you prefer)
½ c. Light Soy Sauce (use less if you prefer)
1 box of Multigrain Angel Hair pasta (you can substitute with pastas of your choice) ($1.25)
4 tbsp. of Chopped Parsley ($1.00)
2 carrots (.50)
1 Onions ($.50)
1 head of Romaine lettuce, mixed greens or Kale ($2.00)
(You probably have the following ingredients at home: Peanut/Canola or olive Oil, garlic cloves, Onion, salt, pepper, salad dressing and Soy Sauce)
1) In a bowl, add the chicken tenders cut in strips and ¼ c. soy sauce, toss and set aside.
2) Microwave the frozen broccoli following the bag instructions to keep the green color.
3) Peel and cut the onion in 1” cubes and set aside.
4) Cook the pasta according to the directions given in the box.
5) While your pasta is cooking, in a wok or a large skillet, on med. high, add less than ¼ c. oil.
6) Drain the chicken from the marinade and carefully, add it to the wok.
7) Cook it for few minutes until the pink is gone, remove from the wok and set aside.
8) Add a couple of teaspoons of oil to the wok, then the onions, the broccoli and last the garlic and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes until your veggies are cooked but crunchy.
9) Add the cooked chicken and stir for a minute.
10) Drain your pasta, but do not discard the water. Also, keep about 2 cups of pasta with enough water to cover it in a separate container and freeze it to use later in the week with a jar of Marinara Sauce.
11) Add the pasta to your skillet and mix all the ingredients well.
12) Finally, add about ¼ c. of soy sauce and about ½ cup of the boiling water you saved. The point is to keep the pasta moist. Therefore, eyeball it carefully to your like.
13) When serving, sprinkle the dishes with chopped parsley.
14) Serve with your carrots and greens salad and dressing.
Tip: To make a simple salad dressing mix 2 tbsp. of red Wine Vinegar, 6 tbsps. of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a small container with lid. Shake it real well before serving.
ABOUT THE Author
I am a blogger, a photographer, a jewelry designer, a gourmet cook, and a recipe book writer. I am also a flea market flipper, an avid gardener, an interior/ outdoors designer, an avid golfer and traveler.