OK, there is nothing better than having fresh homemade crusty warm bread. You can be so creative with it, eat a slice with butter or honey, or jelly, or make sandwiches, or toasted, or, oh well, you know what I mean, smile. So here’s the recipe. This is not my recipe. After I did my last bread post in June, I found this recipe from Chuck Hughes, a Canadian chef. He came up with this NO KNEAD BREAD recipe and I just love it. SO FAR MY FAVORITE!
Approx. Prep and Cook Time: Approx. 2 ½ hours
Approximate Cost: $4.95
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Allergens, Other: CONTAINS WHEAT
Servings: Makes 2 loaf (9x5) about 14 slices per loaf
3 cup very warm but not hot water (I use my thermometer, not hotter than 110 degrees) (0)
1 Tbsp. dry active yeast ($1.35)
1 Tbsp. sugar (.10)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (.10)
1 Tbsp. vinegar (.10)
3 cup white flour ($1.50)
2 ½ cup – 3 cup Whole Wheat Flour ($1.20)
1 Tbsp. coarse salt (.10)
I ADDED SEEDS for the Dough: (.50
3 TSP. Sesame Seeds
3 TBSP. sunflower seeds
1. Mix together in your large bread making bowl and allow to bubble up and foam: The yeast, sugar and water. Wait a few minutes till yeast starts to work then add vinegar and oil
2. Add the white flour cup by cup stirring well after each addition. Then add the whole wheat flour mixing in the salt at one point, cup by cup stirring well after each addition. AT THIS POINT I ADD MY SEEDS AND MIX WELL. This dough will still be a little bit wet and spongy.
3. Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 30 – 40 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
4. Using a big spatula, spoon out into 2 well-greased loaf pans. Using your fingers if needed, press the sides down, helping to create the perfect loaf shape. (do not knead)
5. With a knife make 2 or 3 diagonal shallow incisions in the loaves.
6. Top with your favorite herbs or spices. For the savory loaf sprinkle with steak spice. For the other sprinkle with (raw) sugar.
7. Bake the loaves about 50 minutes @ 375 degrees F or until they are golden brown and crusty on top and sound hollow when tapped on the underside.
8. Let sit if you can wait, for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with butter.
ABOUT THE Author
I am a blogger, a photographer, a jewelry designer, a gourmet cook, and a recipe book writer. I am also a flea market flipper, an avid gardener, an interior/ outdoors designer, an avid golfer and traveler.